MasterControl is an electronic quality management system (eQMS) that enables life science companies to eliminate paper-based quality processes, and observe regulatory standards. With MasterControl, organizations can improve on compliance with FDA regulations and ISO quality standards, while increasing manufacturing efficiency and product quality.
The web-based solution helps organizations automate GxP processes, and link each stage in a product's development lifecycle with every department. Automated routing and escalation help ensure quick responses to inputs from departments such as engineering, regulatory, manufacturing, QA, sales and marketing.
MasterControl's eQMS helps automate and streamline document, change, and training control, as well as corrective/preventive action (CAPA), audits, customer complaints, and other quality and business processes. The solution helps users with automating task assignment, scheduling, tracking, escalation, follow-up and more.
Training management features include assignment automation and tasks monitoring, as well as the sequencing of training courses. MasterControl’s nonconformance features help identify, evaluate, review and handle nonconforming materials. Quality audit management helps track basic audit information and findings, and automates the scheduling of recurring audit-related activities. Users can streamline the complaint-handling process using a multi-page form that customers can access from virtually anywhere.
Increased productivity, compliance, visibility, and capability.
1) One-stop shopping for Document Control, Training, CAPA, Complaints, Change Control, Supplier Management, Bill of Materials, etc. All processes are electronically linked, adding both ease and traceability to my interrelated QMS processes (I can launch a CAPA from my Complaint form!) (I can launch an Engineering Change Order from my CAPA form!)
2) Configuration can be as simple or as complex as you make it. The more complex configurations are more work up front, but bullet-proof the processes for the end-user so the processes pretty much drive themselves.
3) Makes audits so much easier to facilitate and eliminates the low-hanging fruit that is so easy for auditors to find; no missed signatures, no GDP issues, no data integrity concerns, etc.
4) Technical Support has my questions answered almost immediately whether I call directly or issue a web-ticket. More complex questions are escalated directly to the engineers who are also incredibly responsive.
5) My product feedback is solicited and responded to. MasterControl isn't an unreachable entity; they care what the end user has to say and are constantly soliciting feedback.
6) Form Builder! The eForm Builder and Process module are addictive. I can build an HTML for for any time-wasting paper-based process that I have. They go through the electronic workflow and can link to any other MasterControl module, form, etc.
1) The cost is understandably high (it does the work of 2-3 people in my 80 person company) but it can be difficult to get management past the sticker shock when they're thinking of traditional plug-and-play software (and asking management to spend money on Quality is already tough).
2) As mentioned in the opening line, the learning curve is a bit steep. This is not a drag-and-drop, push-to-install software. You need a trained System Administrator to navigate not just how to do the basics, but how to really harness the full, powerful potential of the software. Buying the software, attending one intro courses and then calling it good is like buying an espresso machine only for the hot water. You need to learn what all the buttons do to make it a real, worth-while investment. Luckily MasterControl has an Online University with really helpful tutorials, plus a great online help menu. And Tech Support for everything else.
I've been the Administrator of this software at our company for over 10 years. We currently utilize the Documents, Process and Training modules along with a few HTML based eForms such as Change Control, Manufacturing logs, etc. The collaborative tool for reviewing and redlining documents has provided the necessary exposure and transparency to our organization on document reviews. In addition, we've kick it up in our training module by purchasing and utilizing UL Eduneerings Compliance modules which is SCORM compliant. Works great and eliminates the use of going outside of MasterControl to complete compliance training.
Over the years, MasterControl has made significant improvements to provide more automated functions that reduce human error. We've taken advantage of those tools. The proof really is in front of regulatory agencies such as FDA, Notified Body, TGA, etc where every time I was audited for he functions I managed (Document Control, Training, Change Management, Records Control and HR), I was able to demonstrate controls and compliance over the entire Document, Training and Change Management systems. We've received high remarks from these agencies on system.
Like any software, there are various issues, albeit out of the control of MasterControl at times. For instance, MasterControl may not behave the same in various versions of Internet Explorer. MasterControl is good to call out in their Hardware/Software Recommendations document what systems and software plays naughty and nice with their system (e.g. I.E, Java, Google Chrome, Adobe, Servers, etc).
What's in their control that is not so great is the reporting tool. However, that should be addressed later this year.
Removed all SOP binders in our department. Staff training records also eliminated and are all in soft copy and easy to find. MasterControl makes documentation management easy. Regulatory agencies that review our sites are impressed with the system and ease in finding what they have requested.
Department supervisors were able to eliminate many lists reminding staff of document review dates, required reading and new information. Staff meeting minutes no longer left in a break room for staff to read and initial. MasterControl sends it out to appropriate staff and requests an electronic signature.
The internal report writer is easy to use and presents real time data in seconds.
This application is installed at a university hospital with many diverse regulatory needs. From CLIA and CAP in Pathology and Clinical Laboratories to AABB and FACT in Bone Marrow Transplant programs. Documents, Training and Process modules are flexible enough to meet the diverse needs of each specialized department while allowing the departments to tailor the system to meet their workflow needs. All documents are available to the staff that need them in the most recent version wherever they need them. We utilized PC's, laptops, iPads and hyperlinks within departments Intranet sites. Completing all template fields allows for great automation and the elimination of lists of due dates, signature lists and manual training tracking.
For staff that do not author/edit documents routinely it can be hard to know where to begin in the application. We upgrade every 2 years and the design can significantly change enough to confuse people.
There are so many opportunities to use this software to help manage aspects of your business or quality system that would be impossible in a paper based or manual process. While the modules are defined and designed around a specific function, you have the flexibility to create custom configurations and shape the product to fit your needs. The customer support from the entire MasterControl group is amazing!The level of service is very high from everyone you interface with, the sales team, the install team, the front-line support team, etc. We also use the TAM support service in addition to front-line support and we have greatly benefited from building a relationship with our TAM and troubleshooting system issues. Overall, this investment will help support rapid growth in your business and help facilitate the creation and management of a truly robust quality organization.
There is definitely a learning curve with this software for users, and with the size of our organization and the constant influx of new personnel the establishment of an ongoing support team is key to the success of the product. Some of the components are not the best out of the options available on the market, but bringing them all together in one package is what makes this product sustainable.
All modules revolve around the infocard which is used to establish documents, training, audits, suppliers etc. Once you understand how to configure the infocard for one module, it is very easy to configure add additional modules to support the quality system. We started with the documents module and have expanded to include training, complaint, audit, supplier, non-conformance and a few customer forms. We have done most of our own configuration with minimal assistance. We also like the info card set up because it makes it so easy to file all product related documents in one location. We recently set up an infocard for each specific item and we have been to link specific suppliers, inspection reports and other item qualification activities directly to the info card. This allows for easy access in the event of an audit from an outside agency.
Customization of the out-of-the-box software version is very challenging. Also, the audit module is not very user friendly. A "work add-in" is needed on versions 11.4 and prior in order to generate an audit checklist and subsequent report. Installing the word add-in is difficult when the software is maintained behind a firewall.
Contact MasterControl for detailed pricing information.
Below are some frequently asked questions for MasterControl.
MasterControl offers the following pricing plans:
Starting from: USD 1000.00/month
Pricing model: Suscripción
Free Trial: No disponible
Contact MasterControl for detailed pricing information.
MasterControl offers the following features:
MasterControl has the following typical customers:
Empresas Grandes, Empresas medianas, Empresas pequeñas
MasterControl supports the following languages:
MasterControl has the following pricing plans:
We do not have any information about what devices MasterControl supports
MasterControl integrates with the following applications:
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Word
MasterControl offers the following support options:
Base de conocimientos, Asistencia en línea, Asistencia telefónica